1 Pound Yucca Root
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
1 Cup Water (Use 1C Milk or Veggie broth for a different option)
(Optional) chopped veggies as fillers, ie: mushrooms, onions, garlic, peppers 1C
1. Peel the yucca, I find it best to use a butter knife and just peel it off with my hands using the knife as a wedge. Be sure to run cold water of the yucca after peeling to prevent discolor.
2. slice the yucca and drop into large pot, (small quarter peices similar to wedge fries) remove the center core for easier mashing later. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until Yucca is easily mashed.
3. Drain the cassava and mash, beat in the butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in cup of water, milk, or veggie broth whichever of choosing into the mash until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
5. Use more water, milk, or vegetable broth if necessary.
6. Beat into the mixture the egg yolks
7. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they stand a little more firm in peaks.
8. Fold them into the mixture with the vegetables at this time.
9. Pour mixture into a 2 quart glass dish or pan
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 35 minutes or until well puffed and lightly browned.
11. Leave whole or cut into wedges and serve immediately.